Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!


I have read a lot of blog posts today related to Earth Day, but only one moved me to do something (and think about doing more): this post from Re-Nest. The post is about the EPA's "Pick Five" effort to encourage people to be more environmentally conscious.

I made my pledges, and then the website urged me to print off my pledge. Maybe it's just me, but that little part doesn't seem very environmentally friendly. I guess I'll let that slide thinking maybe the people who print their pledges will be more encouraged to recycle or reduce paper use in the long run...At least the EPA's doing something to encourage us common folk!

Below is my pledge, copy+pasted in lieu of printing. I already do most of these things, but having it in writing will maybe give me that extra push!

To help protect the environment, I pledge to:
  1. Help keep water clean by using biodegradable and environmentally friendly cleaning products.
  2. Buy locally, or grow your own! Reduce air pollution caused by food and goods transport.
  3. Learn about composting, try it out!
  4. Learn about the native species and the negative effects of non native plants and animals in the environment. Plant native species in your gardens, encourage important pollinators such as bees and birds by planting gardens full of their favorite plants. Join a team in your community that removes non-native species.
  5. When purchasing goods, opt for sustainable, recycled or reused resources. Choose items in less packaging.
Pledged Thursday, April 22, 2010.

I must admit, I don't like the idea of more bees roaming around my house, but I understand that they have their place. Of course, I am a little torn by the idea that I'm to grow food, but that I'm also to grow native plants...I'll have to work that one out.


I signed the pledge around one o'clock and finished the subject of the picture below around eight o'clock
.

Yep, that's a compost bin! Now where's my prize for acting so quickly, EPA?

Kidding! I'm excited something finally gave me the kick in the pants to start composting. Here's to decomposing piles of garbage!

No comments:

Post a Comment